Friday, October 22, 2021

Supernatural Stories 80 SRD - A new light RPG




Introducing Supernatural Stories 80 SRD, an ultra-lightweight roleplaying game for modern/fantasy or futuristic games. 

Hello and welcome to my blog if you don't know it. 

You may have arrived here by accident or by clicking on the link on the SRD. If that's the case, let me introduce myself. My name is Gin Lunar and I create minimalist role-playing games and content for solo play.


Supernatural Stories 80: what is it?

Coming from various inspirations, Supernatural Stories 80 is a roleplaying framework that can be adapted to any universe. When I first came up with the concept, I wanted to make it simple enough to create one-shot game worlds. There are so many ideas to explore, why always play the same thing? I think it's because of Netflix sending us so many suggestions

  • The Six Million Dollar Man vs Strangers Things
  • Alice in Borderlands vs DreamWorld
  • Matrix
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer vs Aliens
  • Illium/Olympos 
  • ....

 

It works very well with modern, urban fantasy, futuristic. 
It works not so well with dungeon crawling fantasy. This type of game requires a heavier or more specific setting, with mechanical levelling and less narrative.

Supernatural Stories 80 is above all a game based on narration. 

 

Supernatural Stories 80: the difference with other RPGs

When I looked at the list above, I had a question: how to deal with the power levels?

  • What would a normal man do against a vampire?
  • What about The Rock against a vampire?
  • And The Rock, and other UFC champions against a vampire?

The solutions given by the classic games did not satisfy me.

  • Either because the rules were too heavy (I hate grocery accounting)
  • Or because the rules did not give satisfactory answers (or did not give the answer I wanted to hear)

 

P. PICASSOThe Remains of Minotaur in a harlequin costume

Supernatural Stories 80 introduces power tiers (hauman, monster, master and immortal). It is possible to progress in your tier by training. But it is impossible to move up to the next tier (except in exceptional cases).

So, if we consider that The Rock is one of the strongest men in the world, a normal man who trains hard will be able to reach the strength of The Rock one day, but never go above.

  • A normal man has a strength of d6
  • The Rock d10
  • A basic vampire 2d6 (first level of the monster tier)


You want to fight? Everyone throws its dices. The best score inflicts a wound on ALL his opponents.
Example: 5 normal men fight The Rock, The Rock rolls the d10 and makes 7. The dice do not explode, so The Rock has the best score. He inflicts a wound on each of the other 5 men. 


Thus, the chances of defeating a stronger opponent are slim (but still exist). 

I will share the probability table in a future article


What can you do with this SRD?


Almost anything! Ce SRD est distribué sous la license Attribution 4.0 International, donc n'hésitez pas à l'utiliser! Rejoignez la résistance contre les jeux trop compliqués.

I myself have planned to release the following volumes

  • The Van in The Night: an investigative rpg (normal students vs. supernatural, with a humorous touch)
  • The Agency: the man who was worth 6 millions against the supernatural. (because I can't stand dc and marvel superheroes anymore. I need to change the subject)
  • The Magic School: where you learn to cast spells in a place at the border between the physical world and the spirit world
  • Dojo 13: a manga style action and combat rpg in the spirit world
  • The Immortals: strongly inspired by Thoan, the module that will be the beginning and the end of the range

These 5 volumes of rpg will be playable independently, but will all be linked by an identical lore. The event that happened on the Netflix land in November 1983 will have repercussions on all 5 settings.

 


Subscribe to my blog!

If you like all this, I encourage you to subscribe. There are several benefits to subscribing to my blog:

  • First, you'll get DISCOUNT CODES on upcoming releases
  • Second, I publish from time to time game aids or additional content that you may find useful
  • Don't worry, you won't be drowned under a crazy avalanche of mails (one mail per week maximum, sometimes one every 15 days)
  • It's free and without obligation

 

Subscribe to my blog

 

No comments:

Post a Comment