Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Goblin's Henchman: RPG with Microsolft Excel

Usually dungeonering is not my cup of tea. Exploring rooms to face random monsters doesn't entertain me. I prefer media that tell something and dungeonering is not very suitable for storytelling. The space is confined, scenes are split into rooms and it is difficult to bring some kind of dynamism. 

But I like inventiveness and I like fanmades. These creations bring a new freshness far from  professionals' standards (often driven by branding).


Goblin's Henchman Blog

Today, I would like to talk to you about Goblin's Henchman, which features diverse but always original creations. On its site you' ll find monsters, game systems and adventures.
Goblin's Henchman is above all an Excel Heroe who uses the Microsoft tool in a clever way to make rpg stuffs. As an advanced Excel user myself, I always look at his productions with attention.

One of his post stars is "How To Guide - Spreadsheet Adventure Module (SAM)" using The Halls Untoward. Goblin's Henchman demonstrates how to use a map with Excel. The map is pasted in the background image and the information is stored as a popup.

Link to video demo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_MwzFeqLbw

Excel rpg mapping

Recently, Goblin's Henchman created an Excel template to draw dungeons with the illusion of isometric 3D. The result is nice and deserves a visit on his site. This is what it looks like :


The idea come from Nate Treme's tri-fold brochure and I like it! Maybe I'll use the concept for the next SAALT.
link here


I am particularly proud to have been able to make a modest contribution to his template by automating the generation of walls via a macro vba.



Goblin's Henchman's blog:  https://goblinshenchman.wordpress.com/
Goblin's Henchman's Youtube Channel:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp4qwKOoWWqDY9LuD74mpw

No comments:

Post a Comment