Friday, August 6, 2021

How to play solo rpg in FIVE minutes only? Example #2

Play in 5 minutes: Example part2

 


Continuation of the adventures of our interstellar smuggler. You can find part 1 where I used Tod Zircher's oracle here. This time, I'll use my favorite oracle generator, the icon-based generator.


I enjoyed the adventure and will take time to rewrite it. The rewrite will bring more consistency to the universe. That will be the subject of another article.

Stop wasting time and let's focus on the 5 minutes!

 

I. Reday... Set... Go!

Reminder: Our character was stuck on an asteroid which was the secret base of a criminal mastermind. 

1st minute - Background

As a preamble, I use 3 oracles to determine what's going on

The shields of the space station have almost no energy left (Forward-field) and must be recharged. We have located a source of energy on a planet of intelligent trees (Deku-Tree), at the bottom of a cursed temple in the crater of a volcano (Ifrit).

2nd minute - Challenge 1. Succès + bonus:  Crucifix

The temple is guarded by glowing zombie priests. But the small group is armed enough to slaughter these enemies.
We find a beautiful two-handed sword, perhaps enchanted.

 

 3rd minute. Challenge 2. Failure : Air Man

I suddenly have a flash of genius in my interpretation! As the small group progresses in the cursed temple, sounds of explosion are heard. The roof explodes and robots from the intergalactic conflict invade the room.
They are also looking for the energy source
It's a fight!
We lose
(note that I could very well choose victory, but I decide to keep my weapon and my secret for later)Defeat is possible!

 

Defeat & Consequences: Lips

The men in my group are dead or captured.
And a stole my voice robot with its belly vacuum cleaner! 

 

 4th minute.Unexpected Event: Time bomb

Deciding not to leave it there, I decide to follow the robots who progress in the dungeon. They finally reach an altar in the middle of a lava lake topped by a gigantic robotic statue. 

In the hand of the robot is an energy capsule.

The guardian of the temple arrives, fights the robots and threatens to explode a bomb.

>At this moment, I can imagine my character taking advantage of the diversion to sneak in and get the energy capsule.

 

solo rpg Secret: Great Pyramid

My character understood that this giant robot is a tomb dedicated to a deity. The explosion will not damage the temple. 
As I play a smuggler/pirate/bouccanier, I've already seen similar places and I've already spotted the secret entrance of the tomb. 

 

5th minute: Conclusion

I got the energy capsule back, the invading robots were blown up. And inside the caracass of the giant robot, I discover something (but I don't know what yet)

 

 

II. Conclusion of the run

5 minutes is short. 
5 minutes is intense

 

5 minutes is not enough time to make a good story:

  • The story lacks consistency. Who are these invading robots? What do they want?
  • My character lacks consistency. What are his motivations? What is his weakness? What is his need? (I remind you that I believe that a single player rpg story is first and foremost the story of a character - see The Wandering Knight)
  • The human relationships lack consistency. What about the relationship between my character and Durmix Malgred?

 

5 minutes is more than enough time to create the skeleton of a satisfying story

A good script is all about exploration/discovery/investigation, action and human relationships. These 5 minutes allowed me to have a very satisfying skeleton:

  • we explored a whole new universe. I know it's rushed:
    • I didn't mention the intelligent trees and the whole ecosystem.
    • Glowing zombies??? Who had this stupid idea!
  • we got some action (we almost got nothing else)
  • we had some relationships and possible openings
    • invading robots stealing voices
    • something inside the robot carcass


G


If you liked this article, you will certainly be interested in the basic article: Play in 5 minutes with this simple technique and the partie n°1 des aventures The 5 minute adventure technique: Solo Cutz test

 

If you like solo rpg, don't miss my last productions on dtrpg FULL PREVIEW

Dungeons Solo 1-The Goblins' Den The Wandering Knight SAALT - The simplest ruleset of the World

Find all my productions on drivethrurpg. No risk! Everything is free or in full preview.

Lunar Gin solo rpg

 

And more on the shop of our publisher

Doppelgnger Publishing

 

No comments:

Post a Comment